FARS Application Procedures
- Visit the website: www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
- Enter the ORI# NJ0160600 You will not be able to complete the FARS online application without the proper ORI#.
- Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. However, if you have not previously been fingerprinted for FIREARMS, you will need to PRINT the IDENTIGO fingerprint form. If you fail or are unable to print the form, contact us to request the form in hardcopy. When requesting this form, please provide us with the FARS contributor case number that begins with NJ_____. The confirmation number will not be used by IDENTIGO or us on the IDENTIGO form.
- When completing the application you will need the contact information, including email addresses, of 2 reputable references.
- You must appear at the North Haledon Police Department to pay for your FID card and / or Handgun Purchase Permits upon applying. Your application may not be processed until you have paid for the requested paperwork. Non-refundable payment is required to be made at the time of application as per NJAC 13:54-1.4. Check or Money Orders payable to the Borough of North Haledon only will be accepted.
- If an INITIAL applicant applied for an FID card and forgot to apply for pistol purchase permits, the applicant must re-apply for the pistol purchase permits AFTER their initial application is processed and approved.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this process.
- Once your application is complete and FID cards and / or permits issued, a representative from the North Haledon Police Department will contact you to retrieve your documents.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using most devices. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.